New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995. First Printing. Hardcover. 25 cm. 514 pages. Illustrations. Index. Front DJ flap price clipped. Some soiling to DJ. Inscribed by the author. Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee (August 26, 1921 – October 21, 2014) was an American newspaperman. He was the executive editor of The Washington Post from 1968 to 1991. He became a national figure during the presidency of Richard Nixon, when he challenged the federal government over the right to publish the Pentagon Papers and oversaw the publication of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein's stories documenting the Watergate scandal. At his death he held the title of vice president at-large of The Washington Post. He was also an advocate for education and the study of history, including working for years as an active trustee on the boards of several major educational, historical, and archeological research institutions.
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
Sarov: RFNC-VNIIEF, 2007. Three-hole punched Xerox-like copy in English. Disbound in accordion folder. 460 pages. In English. Illustrations (some in color). Sarov is a closed town in Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Russia. It was known as Gorkiy-130 and Arzamas-16, after a (somewhat) nearby town of Arzamas, from 1946 to 1991. Until 1995, it was known as Kremlyov/Kremlev/Kremljov. The town is closed as it is the Russian center for nuclear research. In 1993, the town became a sister city to Los Alamos, New Mexico, the home of the U.S. nuclear weapons design laboratory (Los Alamos National Laboratory, or LANL). Scientists from LANL and VNIIEF have cooperated on various arms control and nuclear safeguards programs, under which the Los Alamos scientists learned, to their amusement, that their Russian colleagues paid homage to their American rivals by irreverently calling their own laboratory "Los Arzamas." It was the first Soviet nuclear weapon development and production center. Initially a KB-11 design bureau was established there, that was developing nuclear weapons. Research and development activities began in 1947. During the same year security forces began to build a perimeter across the closed area. In 1947 the city was removed from all official Soviet maps and statistical documents. The isolation of the area was completed by 1948. The existence of this city was made public and it appeared on the maps only in 1994. This city is a home to two nuclear weapon facilities - design institute and warhead assembly/disassembly facility. Today this city is known as Sarov. It is the main Russian nuclear weapons development and production center.