Sydney, Australia: Melbourne University Press, 1958. Presumed First Edition, First printing thus. Hardcover. 788 pages. Illustrations. Maps. Figures. Tables. Charts. References. Appendix. Index. Usual library markings and stamps. Boards somewhat weak. Discolored tape inside rear hinge. The Australian Atomic Energy Commission (AAEC) was a statutory body of the Australian government. It was established in 1952, replacing the Atomic Energy Policy Committee. In 1981 parts of the Commission were split off to become part of CSIRO, the remainder continuing until 1987, when it was replaced by the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO). The Commission head office was in Coogee, and its main facilities were at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment at Lucas Heights, established in 1958. Highlights of the Commission's history included: Major roles in the establishment of the IAEA and the system of international safeguards. The construction of the HIFAR and MOATA research reactors at Lucas Heights. The selection of the preferred tender for the construction of the proposed Jervis Bay Nuclear Power Plant, and the Ranger Uranium Mine joint venture. Other significant facilities constructed by the Commission at Lucas Heights included a 3MeV Van de Graaff particle accelerator, installed in 1964 to provide proton beams and now upgraded to become ANTARES, a smaller 1.3MeV betatron, and radioisotope production and remote handling facilities associated with HIFAR reactor.
Refine search resultsSkip to search results
Results 1 - 1 (of 1)