F. R. Richardson (Photographer) Yokohama, Japan: Troop Information and Education Section of the 933rd Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, 1948. Presumed First Edition, First printing. Hardcover. Illustrated endpapers. Unpaginated (approximately 80 pages. Edge tears to two early pages. Name and serial number written in ink inside front cover. Spine missing. Cover has wear and soiling. Several pages for autographs--all blank. RARE. Published on the last day of June, 1948. This was the second anniversary of the reactivation of their unit. The editors stated "We thought we had better put ourselves in a book so that in future years we would be able to look back on two pleasant years spent in Japan in a grand unit." This unit of African-Americans was led by officers who for the most part were white. The united was reactivated on 30 Jun 1946, with Headquarters at Tsurumi-ku, Japan. During the military occupation of Japan, this unit was required to have trained personnel to perform its combat duties and to furnish protections as security guards for Eighth army installations in the Tokyo-Yokohama area. This segregated unit was deactivated a few days before President Truman issued his order to integrate the military services. The U.S. Army Coast Artillery Corps (CAC) was an administrative corps responsible for coastal, harbor, and anti-aircraft defense of the United States and its possessions between 1901 and 1950. The CAC also operated heavy and railway artillery during World War I. In 1905, after the experiences of the Spanish–American War, President Theodore Roosevelt appointed a new board on fortifications, under Secretary of War William Howard Taft. They updated some standards and reviewed the progress of the Endicott board's program. Most of the changes recommended by this board were technical; such as adding more searchlights, electrification (lighting, communications, and projectile handling), and more sophisticated optical aiming techniques. The board also recommended fortifications in territories acquired from Spain: Cuba and the Philippines, as well as Hawaii and a few other sites. Defenses in Panama were authorized by the Spooner Act of 1902. Due to rapid development of the dreadnought battleship type, a new 14-inch (356 mm) gun was introduced in a few locations, including Los Angeles, the Philippines, Hawaii, and Panama. The Japanese were acquiring capital ships with guns of this caliber, beginning with Kong in 1913. The Taft program fortifications differed slightly in battery construction and had fewer numbers of guns at a given location than those of the Endicott program. By the beginning of World War I, the United States had a coastal defense system that was equal to any other nation. The rapidity of technological advances and changing techniques increasingly separated coastal defenses (heavy) from field artillery (light). Officers were rarely qualified to command both, requiring specialization. As a result, in 1907, Congress split the Field Artillery and Coast Artillery into separate branches, creating a separate Coast Artillery Corps (CAC), and authorizing an increase in the Coast Artillery Corps to 170 numbered companies. National Guard coast artillery units were also formed by the states to attempt to bring the CAC up to strength in wartime. Confusingly, many of these units were designated Coast Artillery Corps of their respective state National Guards. In 1907 the United States Army Field Artillery School at Fort Monroe became the Coast Artillery School, which operated until 1946, and in 1908, the Chief of Artillery became the Chief of Coast Artillery in the rank of major general. In World War II more expansion and reorganization occurred. The Japanese invasion of the Philippines resulted in the surrender of US forces there on 9 April and 6 May 1942, including the 59th CA (HD), 60th CA (AA), 200th CA (AA), 515th CA (AA), 91st CA (HD) (PS), and 92nd CA (TD) (PS). The anti-aircraft regiments were broken up into battalions in 1943-44 and the harbor defense regiments were similarly broken up in late 1944, as part of an Army-wide reorganization that left only the Infantry branch as regiments. The "coast artillery" nomenclature was dropped from the antiaircraft units' designations at this time. As a result of this reorganization (in most cases), 46 anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) brigades, 155 AAA groups, and 13 coast artillery groups were activated, probably controlling task-organized groups of battalions. Over 900 battalions were created. On 1 April 1945 the majority of the remaining coast artillery battalions (other than antiaircraft) were inactivated, with most personnel either transferred to their parent harbor defense commands or used to activate or fill out field artillery units. Condition: Fair.
Keywords: African-American, Military Unit, 933rd Coast Artillery Battalion, 933 AAA, Antiaircraft, Automatic Weapons Battalion, Eighth Army, 138th AA Group