Amphibian Engineers [Stationery]

Camp Edwards, Massachusetts: Engineer Amphibian Command, c1943. Presumed First Edition, First printing of this stationery. Single sheet, printed on one side. Single sheet, format is approximately 8.5 inches by 11 inches. The sheet has been folded into thirds. At the top left are four red seahorses in a rectangle. The right side of the rectangle becomes the left side of a capital letter "A" of the word Amphibian. In bold block letters underneath is the word Engineers. The bottom edge has a banner of repeating "Put 'Em Across". No other text and the rest of the sheet is blank. Rare surviving copy of Engineer Training Command stationary. Engineer Special Brigades were amphibious forces of the United States Army developed during World War II. Initially designated engineer amphibian brigades, they were redesignated engineer special brigades in 1943. At the onset of direct American involvement in World War II, it became apparent that the United States would need a large strategic and tactical amphibious warfare capability. In 1941, the amphibious forces were divided into two corps: one in the Atlantic, and one in the Pacific. Both were combined United States Army and United States Marine Corps commands, administered by the United States Navy. The Amphibious Corps, Atlantic Fleet, consisted of the 1st Infantry Division and the 1st Marine Division, while the Amphibious Corps, Pacific Fleet, consisted of the 3rd Infantry Division and the 2nd Marine Division. The Army activated its Amphibious Training Center at Camp Edwards on 22 May 1942, with Colonel Frank A. Keating, the chief of staff of the 2nd Infantry Division, assigned to command it. It became active on 15 June 1942. In addition to training combat units in amphibious warfare, the Army also had to train personnel in the operation and maintenance of landing craft. It was agreed with the British that boat units deploying to the UK would receive their initial training in the US. A consequence was the amphibian engineers' adoption of the British Combined Operations shoulder patch, but with the colors switched to gold on blue. The War Department also authorized the wearing of a pocket patch showing a scarlet seahorse on a white background, these being the colors of the United States Army Corps of Engineers. [The red seahorse is on this page of stationery]. The Engineer Amphibian Command was created on 10 June 1942 at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts under the command of Colonel Daniel Noce, with Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Trudeau as his chief of staff. Noce was answerable to Brigadier General Clarence Sturdevant, the Assistant Chief of Engineers for training. Noce and Trudeau considered how the boat units would operate in combat, and noted the importance of well-trained shore parties to load and unload the boats, and establish supply dumps on the far shore. Since combat engineers were not specifically trained for the task, and would in any case have their hands full dealing with obstacles and fortifications, they felt that a permanent organization was required. They drew up a structure for an engineer shore regiment that would combine the functions of a Navy beach party and the Marine Corps shore party. Tests were carried out with the newly-developed DUKW, and it was decided that each brigade should be equipped with three of them. An important organizational change as a result of experience with training occurred on 5 September, when Noce decided to group the boat and shore engineers into three boat and shore regiments, each with one boat and one shore battalion. Each boat and shore regiment could work with one of the three infantry regiments in an infantry division. Condition: Good.

Keywords: Corps of Engineer, Combined Operations, Military Training, Military Organization, Amphibious Operations, Engineer Amphibian Troops, Stationery, Ephemera

[Book #86334]

Price: $50.00

See all items in Military Training
See all items by